Monday, November 2, 2009

Social Media Book Marketing

There are over 39 social media outlets at the moment, but don't look back because there are more coming. In fact, did you know that you can create your own social network with ning? That's right! Just think about it. If 10% of the authors who have been published this year alone decided to create their own social network site that would be about 56,000 sites! E-gads, that's staggering. Thank goodness that hasn't happened yet, but it could. The whole buzz about social media and how important it is for selling books has become a leading marketing tool and a big plus for any author's bookselling campaign.  The only question I have is-how do we manage all of it? I mean there are only so many hours in the day. If an author is busy posting on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flick, My Space and the rest of the 34 sites, when is there time to write?
I for one, am overwhelmed most of the time with all that I feel I must achieve in a day, beyond my day-job responsibilities.

I've noticed that since my book published in June, that my personal relationships have taken a backseat. How could they not? All of my free time is spent marketing, publicizing and speaking. Oh, you ask when am I writing? Well, to be honest, I've written very little outside of marketing, advertising, social media updates and a few blog entries (which I'm trying to become more regular).

So, what's next? I plan on hiring an assistant. It's really the only way I can see that I will be able to maintain my sanity and write, beyond the promotional writing I must do.

No comments: